Tadej Pogačar has given his clearest public hint yet that a Tour-Vuelta double attempt may follow his current Tour de France campaign.

The Slovenian and his team have not confirmed a Vuelta a España program. However, his lighter race schedule this season has kept speculation alive.
That speculation intensified after Friday’s Tour stage, when Pogačar responded to comments from Prince Albert of Monaco.
Prince Albert visited the Tour on Friday. According to l’Equipe, he was asked whether Pogačar would ride the Vuelta.
He said Pogačar had told him he would be at the start, while leaving the final answer open.
Monaco will host the start of this year’s Spanish Grand Tour.
Asked about the prince’s remarks after the stage, Pogačar smiled and said there was a “high chance” if the prince had said it.
Tour-Vuelta double would put Pogačar in rare company
A Tour-Vuelta double remains one of cycling’s hardest achievements. Only three riders have won both races in the same season.
Jacques Anquetil became the first in 1963. Bernard Hinault repeated the feat in 1978.
Chris Froome is the most recent rider to join the list, having completed the double in 2017.
Pogačar has not raced the Vuelta since 2019. That race was also the first Grand Tour of his career.
He won two stages and finished third overall in Spain. The following season, he claimed his first Tour de France title.
Since then, he has generally chosen a different late-season route. His autumn calendar has often included Canada’s World Cup races, the autumn classics, and the world championships.
His 2024 Giro d’Italia and Tour de France double changed the frame around his ambitions. A Tour and Vuelta pairing has long looked like a natural next challenge.
If Pogačar won both this year, an even rarer target could emerge. No rider has won the Tour, Vuelta and world road title in one season.
Pogačar, Eddy Merckx and Stephen Roche have each won the Giro, Tour and world road race in the same year.
Pogačar also won the worlds in 2024 and again last year, strengthening that storyline further.
Vuelta contenders still unclear
The Vuelta general classification field remains largely unconfirmed. Teams are expected to reveal more closer to the race.
Primož Roglič is understood to be targeting a record fifth career victory. A direct clash with Pogačar would create a major Slovenian duel.
Jonas Vingegaard appears highly unlikely to start, despite winning the Vuelta last year.
He has already raced and won the Giro this season. A third Grand Tour in one year is considered unlikely.
For now, Pogačar’s immediate focus remains the Tour de France. With eight stages remaining, he holds a commanding position.
He leads Vingegaard by 3:36. Remco Evenepoel sits 4:06 behind, while Tom Pidcock is fourth at 4:15.
Pidcock jumped six places on Friday, but Pogačar did not view that move as a concern.
He said Pidcock’s presence up front helped his team, because other squads had to chase late in the stage.
Pogačar also explained that his team could save energy during the final 30 kilometers.
He chose not to attack on the day’s major climb. Instead, he conserved strength before a difficult mountain weekend.
His team also avoided chasing the stage win, allowing the breakaway to decide the day.
Pogačar said the race remained under control, and that the stage unfolded better than he expected.
Mountains offer another chance to extend Tour lead
Stage 14 from Mulhouse to Le Markstein brings another major test. The route covers 155.3 kilometers and almost 4,000 meters of climbing.
The category 1 Grand Ballon arrives early. The category 2 Col du Page follows soon afterward.
The peloton then tackles the Ballon d’Alsace for the second consecutive day. An uncategorized climb comes before the final Col du Haag.
The last six kilometers average just over 10 percent. That finish gives Pogačar a clear chance to gain more time.
Sunday also favors the leading climbers, especially with the Plateau de Solaison climb on the route.
Before any Vuelta decision becomes official, Pogačar still has a Tour de France to defend.

